Happy Valentines Day to all! This day is filled with love, roses, beautiful chocolates, and a extravagant gift to top it off. We all know that planning can be detailed because the perfect day is required for our loved one. Sometimes things don’t always go as planned. We desire the perfect reservation at our favorite restaurant, but that can be difficult too. Some couples love to spend time away from all the hustle and traffic that comes with it.
A great gift to each other would be to cook together at home. What would be your dinner and wine of choice? My lobster mac and cheese would be a nice starter or entree for your special dinner. It’s been beautifully flavored with a creamy sauce of bacon, tarragon, and lobster. You can’t forget to top it off with a fried egg!
- 2lb.-2.5lb. lobster
- 5 strips of bacon, small diced
- 10 C water
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 3 lemons, cut in half
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, cut in half 1tbs Citrus Herb Rub
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 8oz smoked white cheddar, grated
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 oz. marscapone cheese
- 3 tbs salt
- 6 oz. parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1lb. of campanelle pasta
- 1/2 c parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs. butter
- 1.5 tbs. tarragon, chopped
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 fried egg (optional)
- Preparing the lobster: In a 6qt. pot, add water, lemons, garlic, thyme, black peppercorns, bay leaves, and salt. Bring to a boil. Taste to adjust the seasoning. In a large bowl, prepare an ice bath to chill the lobster. Drop the lobster in the court bouillon for 2-3 minutes. Immediately remove and chill in the ice bath. Carefully remove meat with kitchen scissors and a nut cracker. Reserve the shells for a later use. Coarsely chop the meat and set aside.
- Preparing the pasta: Boil pasta according to manufacturers instructions.
- Preparing the mac and cheese: In a 12 inch saute pan, add butter and olive oil at medium heat. Cook bacon for 4-5 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and Citrus Herb Rub. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. Pour in heavy cream and reduce by 1/4. Add white cheddar, marscapone, and parmesan. Whisk until smooth. Taste for seasoning adjustments. Fold in lobster meat and cook for 1 minute. Add pasta, parsley, and tarragon.
- In a 8 in saute pan, olive oil at medium heat. Crack egg in a small bowl and add to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Let the egg gently cook without moving it. Once whites are fully cooked, add to top of mac and cheese.